Sierra Leone has been placed under a nationwide curfew with immediate effect and all citizens are requested to remain indoors.
This decision allegedly follows the attempt by some unidentified individuals to break into the military armoury at Wilberforce barracks.
The motive behind the attack remains unknown while the said individuals are on the run.
But sources in Freetown told WADR that the central prison was attacked and an unknown number of inmates whose identities are currently unknown were freed.
Recall in August, the government announced it arrested senior military and police officers who had planned an insurrection under the guise of a protest to denounce the victory of President Julius Maada Bio in the June 24 presidential election.
Since then, Sierra Leone has been on the edge of a conflict and political divide with the major opposition party boycotting administrative duties until a recent national dialogue jointly organised by the AU, ECOWAS and the Commonwealth reconciled the government and the opposition group.
Sam Moses – a Sierra Leonean journalist confirms that the gunfight first began at the Wilberforce barracks near the Presidential lodge.