Nigeria: Emir Bayero calls for peace
The Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero has described Monday’s attack on the motor park in Kano, which killed at least 22 people, as a clear attempt to cause chaos in the country.
Bayero, who survived a recent attempt on his life, said that “the time has come when government should try and fish out those people who are trying to create problems among Nigerians because we are living together with our brothers across the country harmoniously”.
According to the Nigerian newspaper, This Day, speaking at his palace on Thursday when he received the federal government delegation, Bayero said: “It’s a very sad situation whereby everyday you will be inundated with news that someone is killed or there are problems somewhere”.
The Emir himself was the victim of the third most ferocious attack two months ago, in which seven persons reportedly died. In January, gunmen opened fire on the emir’s convoy, in a raid which killed five people, while Bayero escaped unharmed. It was the third recent attack on a top cleric.
While northern Nigeria, where Kano is the largest city, is mainly Muslim, the suicide bombers targeted a heavily Christian neighbourhood and a bus park that services passengers heading to the mostly Christian south.
“The attack will be translated into an attack by people from this part of the country against those from the south,” Bayero told the delegation at his palace.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but it resembled those previously blamed on Islamist group Boko Haram, who have said they are waging a deadly insurgency to create an Islamic state in the north.
Boko Haram has previously attacked churches in the north, but the group has also targeted the security services, other symbols of authority and prominent Islamic leaders.