Guinea govt says mass action not heeded but…
The Guinean government has said the opposition’s call for mass stay home action was not heeded on Monday.
But WADR4s Conakry Correspondent says the stay home protest was partially observed.
He said there were very few people in the market places of the capital city, the traffic was quiet. Banks, insurance companies and gas stations although opened ,only a few civil servants went to work.
An opposition spokesman, Faya Milimono told WADR on Monday that the opposition was calling the stay home action, because it was not pleased with alleged obstruction of freedom and harassment of opposition supporters.
Those are claims the government had previously denied.
The Cellou Dallein Diallo-opposition coalition has blamed the Alpha Conde government for the stalled parliamentary and local elections.
Reports said many schools were closed mainly in the suburb of Conakry where law enforcement officers were deployed on the main roads.
And in the region of Foutah Djallon, stronghold of the opponent Cellou Dalein Diallo, the stay home action has been widely followed there and in other areas.
But the Guinean government Spokesman, Dirus Dialé has described the move by the opposition as a discredit to the country.
‘’I think everyone can see that the city of Conakry is bustling as usual. Everything is going on fine, contrary to the leaflets asking the population to observe a stay home action. This call is meant to discredit our country and the opposition. The opposition knowing the fundamental rules, knowing that there is a way to initiate a dialogue, cannot ask the population to stage street demonstrations,’’ the Guinean government spokesman said.Tweet