Guinea govt, opposition hold another talks, as UN warns
Another round of dialogue between the Guinean government of President Alpha Conde and a coalition of opposition parties is due to take place on Friday in Conakry.
The talks come after violent clashes early this week in the Guinea capital between opposition demonstrators and security forces, which left at least two people dead.
The government had banned the protest but the Cellou Diallo led opposition insisted it would be held.
Guinean authorities say over three hundred people arrested in connection with this week’s street protest will be charged to court on Friday.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary General Ban Ki moon has called on Guinean authorities to ensure that security forces avoid using excessive force in dealing with demonstrators, stressing the need to allow peaceful protest.
Earlier this week, Amnesty International has called on the Guinean government to immediately probe the deaths in Monday’s opposition protest which was banned in Conakry.
The rights group says there were three deaths but a government statement earlier said two persons died, and that their deaths were not caused by bullets from security forces.
The demonstration was called by Guinea’s two main opposition parties, that criticized the way a December parliamentary election is being organized.
In a statement, Amnesty International Deputy Director for Africa Paule Rigaud said, beating and killing protesters has been the standard response of Guinean security forces.Tweet